Orchestrating musical distinction for Vail festival
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL, Colorado –Music fans in the Vail Valley may be asking this week, ‘What’s in an orchestra?’
While the structure of an orchestra tends to be consistent across the board, the sound of an orchestra can differ from one orchestra to the next. Many factors can lead to this difference in sound, including the size of the orchestra, the conductor, the individual musicians and the venue where the piece is being performed.
During its 22nd season, The Bravo! Vail Valley Music Festival presents the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, The Philadelphia Orchestra and the New York Philharmonic, each unique in its own way.
“To truly grasp the differences among our orchestras you would need to hear a concert by all three of them, says Lynne Mazza, Bravo!’s associate artistic director. “While each orchestra may sound different, one is not better than the other and it is exciting to experience them all.”
Support Local Journalism
Here are some distinctions that set each orchestra apart:
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
• Much excitement due to new music director Jaap van Zweden
• Achieving new recognition
• Versatile orchestra, playing both classical and pops
• “Their new sound is brilliant and exciting,” – Lynne Mazza
The Philadelphia Orchestra
• Founded in 1900
• Has only had seven music directors
• First orchestra to do electronic recordings (1925)
• Has a luxurious sound
• Known for clarity and warm tonality
• Very precise musicians
• “Magnificent warm string sound, which blends brilliantly with the other sections of the orchestra,” – Lynne Mazza
New York Philharmonic
• Oldest symphony orchestra (founded in 1842)
• Known for their technical precision
• Known for their massive sound
• “NYP has a powerful brilliance,” – Lynne Mazza
Meredith Richards is the marketing/web manager for Bravo! Vail Valley Music Festival. E-mail comments about this story to email@example.com.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Vail, Beaver Creek and Eagle Valley make the Vail Daily’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.