Parties to hold caucuses March 21
EAGLE COUNTY ” The county’s Democratic and Republican parties will hold caucuses March 21 to begin the process of selecting local candidates for the November elections.
The Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. in the Chaparral Restaurant in the Cordillera Valley Club. Democrats who live in the Roaring Fork Valley in southwestern Eagle County will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the El Jebel Community Center’s Sopris Room.
“2006 is an important election year in Colorado and Eagle County,” said Harvie Branscomb, chairman of county’s Democrats. “We are electing a governor, a county commissioner and many other Eagle County officials. The caucus is the beginning of the democratic process, the grassroots of democracy.”
Anyone interested in being a caucus leader can call Judy Balice, the party’s vice chairwoman, at 569-3906.
Republicans will hold caucuses in El Jebel, Eagle, Burns, McCoy and Avon. Those who go to the neighborhood meetings will select delegates to the county assembly, set for April 8 in Eagle. The county assembly will pick local delegates to the party’s state assembly, to be held May 19 and 20 in Colorado Springs.
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
The Republican caucus schedule is:
– Eastern Eagle County (Wolcott to Red Cliff to East Vail): Finnegan’s Wake in Avon, 6:30 p.m. Mike Mathias (476-8888) and Pete Buckley (748-1268) are the coordinators.
– Eagle, Gypsum, Dotsero: Eagle County Administration Building, Garden Level Classroom, 6:30 p.m. Clint Mehl (328-6637) and Teak Simonton (328-2025) are the coordinators.
– Basalt, El Jebel: County building in El Jebel, in the Spruce and Pinion rooms, 5:30 p.m. Sean Martin (963-4244) and Michael Bair (927-3931) are the coordinators.
– Burns: Burns Baptist Church, 6 p.m. Susan Nottingham (653-4417) is the coordinator.
– McCoy, Bond: McCoy Community Building, 6 p.m. Melinda Gorman (653-0163) is the coordinator.