Passerby, firefighters douse blaze in Avon | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Passerby, firefighters douse blaze in Avon

Daily staff report
newsroom@vaildaily.com
Vail, CO Colorado
Special to the DailyEagle River Fire Protection District firefighters Brent Redden, left, and Tyler Watkins check for hot spots at Monday's fire on Nottingham Road in Avon.
ALL |

AVON, Colorado – A passing motorist noticed a deck on fire at an Avon condo complex Monday, pouring water on it until firefighters arrived.

The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. at 438 Nottingham Road.

Firefighters found the lower deck of the unit on fire, and the deck above it smoldering. They extinguished the fire in about five minutes. Much of the lower deck was destroyed, but there was no fire damage to the interior of the home. One person was home when the fire broke out.



“The cause of the fire appears to be ashes from the fireplace that were taken outside to cool,” said Charles Moore, fire chief for Eagle River Fire Protection District. “The occupant believed that he had extinguished all of the ash and embers, but the embers were still hot enough to rekindle and start the fire about two hours later.”

There were no injuries in the fire. Some smoke entered the unit, and firefighters used “smoke ejectors” to clear the home of smoke.



Damage is estimated at about $5,000 to $7,000 to both decks, Moore said.

Even though fireplace ash may appear to be out after cooling them with water, they may not be completely out in the larger pieces of ember, Moore said. He added that ash should be disposed of in a metal can with a lid, and the can should be on a non-combustible surface to cool.


Support Local Journalism