Police: Gas sparked Vail fire
VAIL, Colorado ” An arson case at Vail’s Middle Creek Apartments stemmed from a fight between friends, police say.
On Sunday, Samantha Ludwikoski, 33, of Minturn apparently threw a cup of gasoline onto a window of her friends’ apartment and then ignited the fuel, said Detective Robyn Fetterolf of the Vail Police.
Ludwidkoski had had a fight with the 29-year-old male resident of the apartment on Saturday night, Fetterolf said. A 22-year-old woman also lived there, Fetterolf said.
Before the fire was ignited, Ludwidkoski had knocked on the door of the apartment, but the residents didn’t let her end, Fetterolf said
Ludwidkoski was arrested Monday and has been charged with first-degree arson, a felony, and faces between four and 16 years in prison, Fetterolf said. Ludwidkoski is being held on $25,000 bond, Fetterolf said.
The fire, which was reported at 5:40 p.m. Sunday, caused damage to one apartment in the B building of Middle Creek, a 142-unit affordable housing complex that was completed in 2005.
There were no other injuries.
The fire was controlled by a sprinkler head in the apartment. Nearby apartments reportedly had some water damage. Residents were also evacuated.
The probe into last Wednesday’s fire at Maximum Comfort Pool and Spa in Eagle-Vail continues, said Shannon Cordingly of the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators believe that fire was started by “human intervention,” perhaps arson. Officials are following leads in the case, she said.
Staff Writer Edward Stoner can be reached at 748-2929 or firstname.lastname@example.org.