Police reports: Edwards man says he was randomly attacked | VailDaily.com

Police reports: Edwards man says he was randomly attacked

Eagle Valley Enterprise
Vail, CO Colorado

Editor’s note: The following excerpts were taken from Eagle County law enforcement officers and police reports.

EDWARDS – A 44-year-old Hispanic resident of Lake Creek Village Drive in Edwards told deputies that he was attacked for no apparent reason on Sept. 5.

He said he went to the mailboxes at 11 p.m. While he was walking back home, looking at his mail and talking on his cellphone, he was suddenly punched in his left eye and then punched several more times in the head and he tried to shield himself. He didn’t know who was punching him or why.

The victim described the attacker as a white male between 24 and 28 years old, around 6 feet tall with short, blond hair and a thin mustache. He said the man got out of a Volkswagen Jetta or Passat that pulled up while he was at the mailbox. A second man was driving.

During the beating, the victim tried to escape by running around the driver’s side of the car. The driver opened his door so that the man ran into it and fell on the ground, however. The first attacker punched and kicked the man some more, got in the car and sped off.

Participate in The Longevity Project

The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.

The victim said the men were saying things in English but he didn’t understand them.

The deputy saw that the victim had a good amount of swelling and bruising around his eyes. There were scratches and cuts on his jaw, elbow and shin. The man was holding his abdomen and said that was the most painful. His left shoulder was also hurt, and he had difficulty raising his arm.

The case is closed due to a lack of leads.

EDWARDS – A deputy responded to a “shots fired” report from an Edwards residence on Meile Lane on Sept. 6.

The 42-year-old resident said he awoke to his dog barking outside. He looked to see what his dog was barking at when he heard a person from a house below him yell, “Shut that dog up.”

The resident saw a man in the upper right window of the house below him and then noticed a gun barrel sticking out the window just before he heard breaking glass. His back sliding-glass door was shattered. He yelled at the man in the other house that he saw him.

The resident told the deputy he believed a pellet gun was used.

The officer went to the house and contacted the suspect. The 21-year-old man said he had no idea what was going on. He said he yelled to shut the dog up but denied owning any air guns. He said the owner of the house might have one in the basement.

The suspect’s landlord, who lived in another part of the house, said he heard an exchange of yelling that morning but didn’t witness the incident. He said he had two shotguns but wasn’t sure if the suspect had any guns or pellet guns.

The deputy showed the suspect’s driver’s license to the victim, who said it was “definitely the guy.”

The suspect was cited for criminal mischief.

EDWARDS – On Sept. 1, drivers on eastbound Interstate 70 reported a driver who was weaving.

Deputies stopped the suspect vehicle near Edwards. They smelled a strong odor of alcohol when they met the driver, who identified himself with an Ethiopian passport. The officers asked the man if he had been drinking. The man said he drank half a six-pack three hours earlier and pointed to the remaining beers in the back.

The deputies asked the man to perform voluntary roadside tests, which he failed. He was then arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol after refusing to take a chemical test. He requested that the deputies lock his car and leave it on the side of the road.

An officer drove the car farther to the side of the road to park it and noticed a bag of cocaine stashed atop the driver-side visor.

The man was arrested and issued a notice of revocation for his license.

AVON – A sobriety checkpoint at the Avon I-70 off-ramp on Sept. 3 netted the following:

• A 50-year-old man for DUI – he smelled of alcohol upon arriving at the checkpoint and failed voluntary roadside tests. He blew a voluntary preliminary breath test that registered .133 and was transported to Vail Valley Medical Center for a blood draw. He was cited for DUI and released to a sober friend.

• A 21-year-old man for driving under the influence of drugs – the officers smelled marijuana in the car. The man said he hadn’t been drinking but smoked marijuana six hours earlier. His eyes were bloodshot and watery, and his speech was slurred. Deputies asked him to perform voluntary roadside maneuvers, which he failed. The man turned over a small container of marijuana and was transported to VVMC for a blood test. He was cited for DUID and given a ride to Avon, where he was staying for the night.

EAGLE-VAIL – On Sept. 7, a deputy stopped a car for speeding on westbound I-70 near Eagle-Vail.

The 35-year-old driver didn’t have any form of identification or proof of insurance or registration. He said he left his wallet at home. The man’s temper was getting worse, so the deputy had him get out of the car and patted him down for weapons.

Not finding any weapons, the officer cleared the man through dispatch and cited him for driving without proof of insurance, driving without a driver’s license on his person, and speeding. The car was impounded until proof of insurance could be presented.

GYPSUM – On Sept. 8, an electrician reported that thousands of feet of wire had been stripped and stolen from a house he was working on north of Gypsum on Trail Gulch Road.

The wire had been cut at the junction boxes and pulled through the wooden studs in the garage level and second floor of the framed home. The electrician guessed the thief planned to return and strip the third floor as well.

In total, about $3,660 worth of wire was taken and the damage is estimated to cost $10,000. The homeowner said he would consider setting up a camera system.

MINTURN – A deputy was parked on U.S. Highway 24 in Minturn when he saw a car traveling more than 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. The car was initially going 63 mph and sped up to 67 mph as it passed the deputy.

The officer stopped the vehicle and contacted the 21-year-old driver, who did not have a license.

The deputy discovered the man’s license had been revoked for alcohol offenses. The man was arrested for driving without a valid license and speeding.

• On Aug. 24, a signal maintainer for Union Pacific Railroad replaced 800 feet of copper wire that had been stolen near Bond. On Aug. 27, someone had cut the line down again. The location was not accessible by car. The wire is valued at $500.

• On Aug. 27, a 36-year-old man suspected that his iPhone 4 worth $450 was stolen from a Vail hotel after he left it there.

• Between Aug. 27 and Aug. 30, deputies discovered three more cases of graffiti in Vail and Eagle-Vail. An electrical box, jersey barriers and a retaining wall were vandalized with murals. The electrical box was more difficult to clean because most paint removers are flammable. The total estimate to fix all the damage is over $350.

• A license plate was stolen from the vehicle of a Lake Creek Village Drive resident in Edwards on Sept. 2.

• A $6,000 raft and $1,550 worth of gear was stolen from a Dotsero business on Sept. 7. The raft was equipped with oars, frames, bags and a polymer boat deck. It was left near a shed in a gated area that was closed but not locked. It went missing between 9 and 11:45 a.m. The raft was blue with a gray stripe and yellow, stenciled letters that said, “Anderson.”

Support Local Journalism