David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
May 17, 2017
SWEETWATER — An Edwards man died and three others suffered injuries in a Jeep rollover on Monday.
David Walder, 50, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash by Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire. Raquel Walder, 19, of Edwards, was transported to Vail Valley Medical Center, according to Trooper Nate Reid with the Colorado State Patrol.
Two others who were riding in the Jeep, Michael Tolan, 18, of Tinley Park, Illinois, and a 17-year-old female, both suffered minor injuries and were not transported to the hospital.
The crash occurred at 1:15 p.m. on Monday about two and a half miles west of Sweetwater Road, up Garfield County Road 151. The dirt road is in a remote part of Garfield County near the Eagle County line in an area near Sweetwater Resort.
According to the Colorado State Patrol, the 2004 Jeep Wrangler went into a right-hand turn and Tolan, who was driving, lost control. The Jeep began to rotate clockwise, went off the right side of the road and rolled one time.
During the rollover, two occupants were ejected and came to rest near the vehicle. The Jeep rolled back onto its wheels off the right side of the road, the State Patrol said.
Recommended Stories For You
Glassmire ruled Walder's death accidental in a statement released Wednesday morning.
A memorial service is scheduled for Walder at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 18, at the Vail Interfaith Chapel, with a reception to follow. Parking for the service is available in the Vail Village and Lionshead Village parking structures.
Trending In: Regional
- The curious case of Capt. Craig Button. 20 years ago, Button crashed his A-10 into Gold Dust Peak. Two decades later, no one knows why
- Navajo Code Talker, legendary lawmaker John Pinto is a great American story
- Admitted embezzler Henry Kunter sentenced to 8 years in Eagle County
- Colorado’s Bustang bus system to connect Vail, Summit County and Glenwood Springs
- Colorado’s most expensive toll lane, the I-70 Mountain Express Lane, to open
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- “Kavanaugh, get used to it”: Breckenridge bartender gets stiffed — with a message
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- In Avon, a controversial move will be discussed in building which was the subject of a controversial move