Rescued snowboarder billed $1,295 | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Rescued snowboarder billed $1,295

Allen Best

DURANGO A snowboarder who ducked ropes and went out of bounds at Durango Mountain resort and then had to be rescued is getting a bill for $1,294 and losing his ski pass. He was the second skier within seven days at the resort to go out of area and need rescuing.

The snowboarder was found to be suffering from mild hypothermia when found about three miles outside of the ski area boundaries. Rescuers said he might not have lived had he spent the night out. He was gone for nine hours.

Volunteer rescuers are not charging for their time or expenses, but the ski resort is. As well, under Colorado law, he could have been charged with a crime for violating the ski area boundary, but that law requires a victim and the ski area refused to be that victim.

Real estate sales defy wisdom

PARK CITY Last summer a statistician with the Park City Board of Realtors went out on the limb, predicting $700 million in sales for the year. He was wrong. Sales were $772 million, a record in the Park City area. Now, some real-estate agents are predicting even more sales this year.

Sales prices of single-family homes registered with the Board of Realtors rose 14 percent. The inventory of mansions dropped, but the more active market continued to be mid-sized single-family homes. Condo prices dropped 13 percent although volume increased.

‘Butte throwing party for new owners

CRESTED BUTTE The ski company and the townspeople are, often enough, like oil and water. But after a series of hard-luck years, the people of Crested Butte are almost giddy about getting new owners, Tim and Diane Mueller, of the Vermont-based Triple Peaks LLC.

Fully expecting the deal to be consummated, the Crested Butte Town Council allocated $4,000 for a giant community party. Speeches are planned, reports the Crested Butte News, as well as ski movies, a band and fireworks. “We only get a new ski area owner once in every 33 years,” quipped Mayor Jim Schmidt.

Carbon monoxide alarms installed in lodges

JACKSON HOLE, Wyo. Another case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a lodge, this time sending 11 people to the hospital, has caused the owner of that and other motels in Jackson Hole to install carbon monoxide alarms.

Also fresh in the minds of hoteliers, notes the Jackson Hole News & Guide, is the carbon monoxide-caused death of a doctor at the base of the ski mountain in 2001. That led to a multi-million dollar judgment against Vail Resorts, parent company of the lodge.


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User