Ridley’s grocery store in Gypsum open once again after hazmat incident
GYPSUM — Ridley’s grocery store in Gypsum opened bright and early Wednesday, Nov. 8, after a hazardous materials incident Tuesday, Nov. 7, closed the business for several hours.
Store employees discovered a leak in the refrigeration system and called a repairman, who subsequently located the source of the “significant” leak and called 911.
According to Gypsum Fire Chief Justin Kirkland, emergency crews remained at the scene for seven hours Tuesday while the building was ventilated. Emergency personnel were called to the scene at approximately 9:30 a.m.
“Once the product vaporized, we just needed to make sure that there was a safe environment inside the store,” Kirkland said.
After the building was ventilated, the refrigeration technician was able to make the repairs so the business could open Wednesday morning.
The leak did not present an immediate danger to public health or to nearby businesses.
“This is a celebration of all our veterans have done for us,” said Pat Hammon with the local VFW Post, who served as a nurse in Vietnam. “It’s not a time for sadness.”