Safety hazards found in Avon building | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Safety hazards found in Avon building

Matt Terrell
Avon, CO Colorado
mterrell@vaildaily.com

AVON, Colorado ” Several safety and health hazards were found at an illegally operated business and apartment building on Nottingham Road in Avon, Colorado earlier this year, according to town documents.

The property, formerly known as the Golden Eagle Auto Repair at 0147 Nottingham Road, was home to a demolition company and an upstairs apartment that was frequently without hot water and heat, according to code enforcement officials.



Officials found a disconnected fire alarm, a broken hot water heater, illegally stored oxygen and acetylene tanks used by the demolition company for welding, an above ground propane tank connected by an exposed rubber hose running on top of the floor and about 20 bags of garbage on the roof. Town zoning does not allow a demolition company in this area, zoned “Neighborhood Commercial.”

Code enforcers found out about these problems when the residents living in the apartment called to report they had no gas, heat or garbage pick-up, according to town documents. The building was vacated.



The landlord, Heather Lemon, paid a $1,045 fine for town and fire code violations, and her case is closed, town clerk Patty McKenny said. Don Lemon was fined more than $6,000 for town and fire code violations the but failed to pay the fine by the September 17 deadline, McKenny said.

Don Lemon missed his Oct. 15 show cause hearing, and a “bench warrant” was issued, municipal court clerk Debbie Padilla said. He couldn’t be reached by phone Wednesday.

Staff Writer Matt Terrell can be reached at 970-748-2955 or mterrell@vaildaily.com.


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User