Sandra Smyser: Volunteer in Eagle County Schools
As a newcomer to Eagle County, I have come to realize the many reasons why people live here, whether it is the amazing weather, abundant amount of recreational possibilities or simply the majestic beauty of the Rocky Mountains. It is clear that people in this community truly appreciate their environment.
Eagle County has cultivated an impressive mindset of appreciation and giving back to the community. I am impressed by the extraordinary amount of philanthropy and volunteer efforts. I encourage you, as Eagle County community members, to assist me with the extremely important initiative of volunteering in Eagle County Schools. What better audience to receive this attention than the future of the world ” our children.
There are innumerable ways to volunteer in Eagle County Schools in your child’s individual classroom, school or the district as a whole:
– Business professionals might offer their time and expertise in a particular subject a class is currently studying by being a guest speaker one day. These individuals also could make themselves available to educators and students alike via e-mail.
– Retirees with a certain area of proficiency may be willing to tutor a student in need of additional help.
– Technology gurus could shed some light on the importance of 21st-century learning in the classroom by offering their knowledge on Power Point presentations, video-copying or Web site design.
– Those with a creative eye might offer assistance in an art class, whether it is painting a self-portrait or sculpting with clay.
– Parents with a bit of extra time may want to read a book to a class, be a chaperone on a field trip or at a school dance, wear the hat of “Parent Liason’ or join the Parent Teacher Association.
– Bilingual community members could offer their assistance in communication, whether translating a document or interpreting a conversation between an English-speaker and non-English speaker.
– Sports enthusiasts may help out a gym class or assist in after-school athletic programs.
– Those with a knack for financials might help a school with a fundraising effort for a club or class trip.
– For those who are skilled in the culinary arts, perhaps donating items to a bake sale would be worth a few extra minutes of your time in the kitchen.
However you choose to offer your assistance, volunteering makes you feel good about yourself and the world in which you live. Through volunteering, you are using your mind, body and creativity, while also gaining important skills and experience. By lending a hand to help others, you are single-handedly making a difference in our world. Volunteering gives you an opportunity to change people’s lives, including your own. For more information on how you can volunteer in Eagle County Schools, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
I leave you with one final thought:
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”
” Mahatma Gandhi
Sandra Smyser is the superintendent of Eagle County Schools. Her column runs the first Wednesday of each month during the school year. E-mail comments to email@example.com.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User