School district celebrates Teacher Appreciation Week
May 2, 2011
EAGLE, Colorado – Eagle County Schools is joining thousands of communities across the country in celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2-6.
This week honors the men and women who lend their passion and skills to educating children and recognizes outstanding contributions teachers make to individual students and communities.
“We have a large amount of quantitative statistical data showing that teachers in Eagle County are a cut above what’s in other schools and ECS teachers get tremendous growth out of students,” said Dr. Sandra Smyser, Eagle County Schools superintendent. “But that’s not how I know we have great teachers. I know we have great teachers when I see kids running into schools during the year and hanging around the building all summer, wanting to get back inside. I know we have great teachers when I see kids on graduation day, in that bittersweet moment of hope for the future and knowing their time with some amazing teachers is coming to an end. I know we have great teachers because parents in our community hand the most precious thing in the world to them over to our schools, as they know our teachers love their kids just as much as the parents do.”
How can you acknowledge outstanding educator?The school district suggests:
• Write a note to your child’s teacher, expressing your appreciation and gratitude.
• Take your child’s teacher out to lunch.
Recommended Stories For You
• Volunteer to help out in your child’s classroom for a few hours.
• Bake your child’s teacher homemade cookies.
• Bring your child’s teacher a warm cappuccino or latte upon dropping your child off at school.
• Buy your child’s teacher a gift certificate to a local business.
• Write a letter to the school principal describing the impact your child’s teacher is having on your child.