Skier survives big Alaska avalanche |

Skier survives big Alaska avalanche

ANCHORAGE, Alaska ” A skier was buried for as long as 40 minutes in a massive avalanche Saturday near the site where two snowmobilers were killed by another slide earlier this month.

Ian Wilson of Portland, Ore., was pulled out alive, but was blue and unresponsive, Alaska State Troopers said. Later, however, the 24-year-old man was able to talk before he was transported to an Anchorage hospital. Wilson, who was vacationing in Alaska, was later discharged from the hospital, said Lt. Barry Wilson, the statewide search and rescue coordinator.

“It has been an exciting, exciting day,” said Wilson, who is no relation to the skier. “Nobody died from this latest incident.”

The avalanche was reported five minutes after searchers recovered the body of Christoph Vonalvensleben, 25, one of the snowmobilers killed in the Feb. 15 avalanche in backcountry about 65 miles outside Anchorage.

State transportation workers assisting in the recovery effort saw the avalanche and notified troopers around 2:15 p.m., Wilson said. Within another five minutes, volunteer rescuers and search dogs working on the recovery were heading to the new avalanche site three miles away. By the time they arrived, the buried skier, who was wearing a locator beacon, had been found by other skiers, including a medic with the U.S. Forestry Service, according to Wilson.

“It was a perfect storm of help,” he said. “The odds were in this person’s favor for survival.”

As many as 25 skiers were in the area of the avalanche, but only one other skier was hit. The skier was knocked down by the slide’s powder blast, but not completely submerged in the deep snow.

“He was not hurt as far as I know,” Wilson said.

Poor weather had prevented rescuers from recovering Vonalvensleben’s body. Also killed in that slide was Anchorage resident Jeremy Stark, 25, whose body was recovered Wednesday by a group of friends.

The Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center has reported avalanche conditions were continuing in the area.

Saturday’s body recovery included plans to use explosives to bring down hazardous snow packs for the safety of searchers, troopers said. Wilson said the explosives were set off four hours before the avalanche and was not considered the cause.

Troopers had warned that the explosives could trigger snow slides on nearby slopes and had urged the public to stay clear of the area.

Support Local Journalism

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User

Trending - News

See more