Smoke closes main Beaver Creek road
AVON ” Firefighters closed Village Road in Beaver Creek Monday afternoon because of a manhole explosion.
Smoke was reported at 3:30 p.m. on Village Road at South Holden Road. Firefighters closed Village Road to traffic for about an hour.
Holy Cross Energy said the cause was a transmission line power surge. The surge also caused several fire alarms to go off in the Avon and Beaver Creek area.
Firefighters responding to Beaver Creek observed a small wildland fire on Nottingham Road in Avon that was caused by the power surge. The brush fire on Nottingham Road was 10 feet by 15 feet and controlled within five minutes.
There were no injuries in either incident.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Due to budget shortfalls, Vail Resorts has pulled this winter’s funding for its cloud seeding program — the longest-running in the state at 44 years — potentially reducing the amount of water flowing down the…