Smoking materials blamed for Berthoud blaze | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Smoking materials blamed for Berthoud blaze

BERTHOUD, Colorado ” Investigators say a fire that broke out in a downtown Berthoud apartment appears to have been sparked by discarded smoking materials.

The blaze in the 600 block of Mountain Avenue started at about 7:30 a.m. Thursday. Authorities say evidence indicates that 49-year-old James Hastings tried to fight the fire himself with a home fire extinguisher.

He was pronounced dead about a half-hour later. Larimer County coroner’s officials say Hastings’ death was accidental, but the cause was withheld pending additional toxicology tests.



Fire damage was contained to Hastings’ apartment.


Support Local Journalism