Snow in coming days’ forecast |

Snow in coming days’ forecast

Weather? Or not?

The Vail Valley’s chances of snow, and when, depends which forecast you watch. Here’s the next predicted snow from three sources. Light snow possible Dec. 1; heavier snow Dec. 4 and cooler temperatures. (The Weather Channel): A 60 percent chance of snow Dec. 4, and a 40 percent chance Dec. 5.

• National Weather Service: A “chance” of snow. Dec. 4.

EAGLE COUNTY — The Vail Valley’s past blue sky days are great for postcards, but not so much for the snowpack. Help may be on the way.

After several days of sunny, dry weather, there’s snow in the forecast. When it might come depends on which weather forecast you read.

The most optimistic of those forecasts come from Meteorologist Joel Gratz is calling for “light snow” — perhaps a few inches — Dec. 1 into the morning of Dec. 2.

That forecast puts Gratz alone. The National Weather Service’s Grand Junction office and The Weather Channel both call for mostly clear skies Dec. 1 and 2.

Whether the late-weekend showers come or not, the forecast does change going into the week, with a substantial storm is expected to hit about mid-week. Gratz’s weather models indicate that the Colorado Rockies north of Interstate 70 could get six inches of snow or more from a Dec. 4 storm, with showers bringing a bit more through the weekend of Dec. 7. The Weather Channel’s forecast has snow predicted for Dec. 4 and 5, with only a slight chance of more storms heading into the weekend. The National Weather Service forecast has snow starting to develop Dec. 3, with mostly cloudy skies.

Support Local Journalism

OpenSnow has the most specific forecast, using a pair of prediction models. While snow totals are always tricky to forecast, Gratz’s models show a trough of cold air settling in over the Rockies, bringing cooler temperatures and “more winter-like weather.”

Support Local Journalism