Battle Mountain XC hosting Eric Spry 5K race
August 30, 2018
EDWARDS — Yes, the Battle Mountain Invitational at the Willow Creek Par-3 in Eagle-Vail will attract some of the best runners in the state on Saturday, Sept. 1.
While the varsity races are at 10 a.m. (boys) and 10:30 a.m. (girls), the Eric Spry 5K Memorial race is open to the public.
Spry was a student-athlete at Battle Mountain, Class of 2010, who passed away while attending Colorado State University during his freshman year in 2011.
"He was such a fantastic representative of Battle Mountain High School cross-country and track and field," Huskies coach Rob Parish said. "He was, by no means, the fastest, but he was one of the most enthusiastic kids to come through our school. He did more of what all of us should do — appreciate running, the team being outside and his family."
The Huskies have been hosting the Spry race in since 2011. All proceeds go to Eric Spry Scholarship Fund. The cost of the race is $35 and includes a T-shirt.
Recommended Stories For You
Devils soccer falls to Bears
Eagle Valley soccer scored its first goals of the season in a 6-2 loss at Rifle on Thursday, Aug. 30.
Keegan Moore and Johan Payan scored for the Devils (0-3 overall and 0-2 in the 4A Slope).
The Devils have a bit of time to regroup before their next game on Sept. 11 against Steamboat Springs in Gypsum.
Trending In: Sports
- Line cut leads to CenturyLink internet outages; service expected to be restored by 10 p.m. Tuesday
- Best of Vail 2018 winners (full list)
- Vail, Beaver Creek to open early for 2018-19 season
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Valley winter air service includes more flights from several cities