Bike series continues Wednesday in Vail
July 19, 2010
VAIL – The Vail Recreation District’s fifth mountain bike race of the 2010 Vail and Beaver Creek Mountain Bike Race Series will take place Wednesday on Vail Mountain. The race, the Vail Grind Mike Janelle Memorial Race, will have participants ages 8 and older race on 1.5 to 16 miles of singletrack trails on Vail Mountain.
Race costs are $25 for pre-registration or $35 on race-day. Pre-registration for individual races ends at 5 p.m. today with registration also available until 5:30 p.m. on site at the race. The race will begin at 5 p.m. with the Larkburger Youth Series for riders ages 8 to 14, followed by all adult categories at 5:45 p.m. Pedal Power is the official shop of the Vail Grind and will be onsite at the start to provide neutral support for racers with last minute mechanical issues.
The race will include an after party at the Arrabelle at Vail Square in LionsHead and include live music featuring the “Stache,” a barbecue and a free keg of beer. Prizes will be presented to the top three finishers of each category, as well as a raffle prize drawing.
Additionally, the race after party will host the annual Mike Janelle Memorial Fundraiser to support the family of Mike Janelle, a Vail Valley resident and professional athlete who passed away in 2007. The fundraiser will include prize giveaways.
Local athletes and friends of the Janelle family will also be sitting in a dunk tank and include Josiah Middaugh, Jay Henry, Shawna Wachter, Jake Wells, Angela Gould, Charlie Brown and Nadine Davis. Fundraiser organizer and series racer Amy Hermes says the even is a great way for the community to gather and remember Janelle.
“Please come support this celebration of life, even if you’re not racing,” Hermes said. “We may have lost a great friend (Mike), but his family still needs our help as they continue to face day-to-day challenges without him.”
Recommended Stories For You
The race series continues Aug. 4 with the series’ newest race, the Boneyard Brawl in Eagle. The rescheduled Davos Dash will take place Aug. 11 for the adult racers and then on Aug. 25, racers will end the series with the Beaver Creek Blast in Beaver Creek. For more information, call 970-479-2280.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Hess: Boilermakers shock the world against Buckeyes (column)
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley weekend preps wrap: No kidding, everybody wins
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Pitkin County Courthouse ICE arrest likely a first