BREAKING NEWS: Women’s Olympic GS postponed to Wednesday, Feb. 14
February 11, 2018
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — Mikaela Shiffrin's quest for a second Olympic gold is on hold.
The United States Ski and Snowboard Association sent out a email bulletin at 4:30 p.m. Rocky Mountain Time that Sunday, Feb. 11's Olympic women's giant slalom has been postponed. That bulletin was confirmed by a similar announcement on the International Ski Federation's website, http://www.fis-ski.com, minutes later.
A second USSSA bulletin issued at 5:30 p.m. Colorado time announced that the GS has been moved to Wednesday, Feb. 14 in Colorado.
That means that Wednesday will be doubleheader of skiing action because the GS was the second Olympic alpine race scrubbed by winds in South Korea. Saturday, Feb. 10's men's downhill was already postponed to Wednesday.
Mikaela Shiffrin will now be racing on back-to-back days, not an uncommon arrangement on the World Cup circuit. The slalom remains a go on Tuesday, Feb. 13, followed by the newly scheduled GS on Wednesday.
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle County snowboarders Jake Pates, Zoe Kalapos competing in Dew Tour modified halfpipe Dec. 15-16
- Double gold medalist Ligety gives Utah edge over Denver in Olympic chase
- Freud: Have the Broncos hit rock bottom? We hope so (column)
- Richards: Simple doesn’t always mean easy (column)
- Pedal Power Winter Race Series begins Saturday, Dec. 15, with Tennessee Pass snowshoe
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- Obermeyer’s throwback styles make a comeback for 2019