Devils blank Demons
August 30, 2014
GYPSUM — Eagle Valley soccer capped what turned into a very good week by blanking Glenwood Springs, 3-0, in its 4A Slope opener on Saturday at Hot Stuff Stadium.
Aaron Ledezma got pulled down in the box for a penalty kick to start things. He slotted his shot to the left side for the goal.
The highlight real tally was goal No. 2. Defender Jackson Sandell started a counter attack with a beautiful pass to Noel Ruiz, who beat two defenders and flicked it to Ledezma for the finish.
Not to be left out, Aldo Palacios rounded it out with a magnificent run down the left side and a goal.
"We're a new team, but an ambitious team," Devils coach Bratzo Horruitiner said. "We want to bring our game to everybody and show what we can do. Two victories in a row after a rough opening puts us in the right mindset,"
Eagle Valley (1-0 in the 4A Slope and 2-1 overall) is at Basalt on Thursday.
Recommended Stories For You
Overland tops VMS
Do not accuse the Vail Mountain soccer team of having a soft schedule.
VMS started 2014 with a 5-2 loss at Overland on Saturday. Overland's student body is roughly 2,200 kids, while VMS has about 120 students.
The Gore Rangers host Denver Christian, a 3A playoff team last year, on Thursday at Bandoni Alumni Field at 4 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Freud: At the break: Forecast for the second half of baseball (column)
- Photos: Mikaela Shiffrin at the ESPYS
- Pritchard: Honing agility takes more than the Ickey shuffle (column)
- The Gentle Summit: The easiest 14ers in Colorado for a first-timer
- JP Walker in town for July snowboarding at Woodward Copper summer camp
- Obituary: Zachary Domenico, Jan. 25, 1990, to July 7, 2018
- Eagle County, local towns are being asked to help fund Forest Service operations
- Suspects in Lake Christine Fire arrested at residence in Basalt
- Eagle County wildfires could have knocked out electricity to thousands
- Public notice snafu delays hearing for Edwards’ Fox Hollow development