Devils go off in second half, overthrow the Bulldogs, 3-0
September 20, 2016
GYPSUM — The Eagle Valley soccer team did its best imitation of being shot out of a cannon on Tuesday night in the second half against Palisade.
The Devils scored twice in the 41st minute and ended up beating the Bulldogs, 3-0, against Palisade at John Ramunno Field in Gypsum.
"Sometimes, you think victory is granted and it's not the case," Devils coach Bratzo Horruitiner said. "Palisade played a very tight 4-4-2 and props to them. It took us a little while to analyze that and start playing a little more aggressive."
And Juan Garduno scored 12 seconds into the second half. Within that same minute, Garduno fed Leo Rosales for a 2-0 lead. Christer Serna added insurance and Eagle Valley moved to 4-1 in Slope (4-4 overall).
Not only did the Devils win on Tuesday, but they got good news from their good friends the Battle Mountain Huskies. OK, the teams don't exchange Christmas cards, but Battle Mountain beat Steamboat Springs, 3-0, on Tuesday night. And that leaves the Devils, Huskies and Sailors all tied atop the league at 4-1.
"With a little push from our brother, we're in first place," Horruitiner joked.
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle Valley's next game is at Summit, and Horruitiner was quick to note that Huskies had a lose battle with the Tigers, winning, 4-3. Eagle Valley will get a fight from Summit. Meanwhile, Battle Mountain hosts Glenwood Springs, and Steamboat is at Summit, both on Thursday as the league standings were essentially reset.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon