Devils, Huskies golf teams do well at Tiara Rado
August 26, 2015
GRAND JUNCTION — Eagle Valley and Battle Mountain golf had good showings at Tuesday's Warrior Invitational at the Tiara Rado Golf Course in Grand Junction.
The Devils were third with a score of 239 strokes, while the Huskies were fourth (245). The local teams were only behind 5A Fruita Monument (225) and Grand Junction (231).
Eagle Valley's Tanner Caldarola tied for sixth with a 76 on the par-71 circuit. Barrett Jones was right behind him with a 78 with Michal Sandoval (85) as the team's third.
Battle Mountain High School also had two under 80 with Miles Joersz and Jack Oberley carding 79s. Charlie Morrow came around in 87.
Vail Christian was 10th with Luke Tyler leading the Saints.
The Huskies and Devils head to Rifle Creek today. Score on the front nine and hang on during the back.
Recommended Stories For You
Last week, the Vail Daily published rankings for the local schools in football, soccer and volleyball. And Tuesday, milesplit.com came out with its cross-country rankings.
The Battle Mountain girls are ranked third in the state, behind only Air Academy and Niwot. The Huskies boys aren't too shabby at No. 6.
Both Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley get the season underway on Friday at the Cheyenne Mountain Stampede, aka pre-state.
Of note for the opener, the state course has a new look for 2015. Gone is the bottleneck 400 meters or so from the start. Also, say goodbye to Big Willis, the notorious hill at approximately the 1-mile mark. The Huskies and Devils and everyone else will be scouting this new loop with an eye toward Halloween and the state meet.
Eagle Valley soccer gets its opener today against Glenwood Springs at Ramunno Field at 6 p.m. Varsity games will be at 6 p.m., a change from the original schedule at 4 p.m.
Battle Mountain soccer starts Friday at Montrose at 5 p.m., as part of its western swing. The Huskies are at Delta on Saturday at 11 a.m.
Vail Christian football lost its Week 2 game against Longmont Christian after the latter dropped its program for 2015. The Saints will open with a nonconference game on Sept. 4 against Plateau Valley at Eagle Valley under the light
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 and email@example.com. Follow Freud on Twitter @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape