Devils and Huskies spikers await regional draw
October 29, 2016
See, Eagle Valley and Battle Mountain have something in common.
Devils and Huskies volleyball will wait together after finishing their regular seasons at tournaments this weekend. Both are going to regionals, but where is the question, particularly for the Huskies.
The Devils finished the season at 20-3 with a 2-1 showing at Evergreen. They beat TCA, 23-25, 25-14, 15-9, lost to the hosts, 25-22, 11-25, 25-12, and swept Denver Science and Tech, 25-9, 25-14.
Eagle Valley played without senior setter Molly Jewett, who is resting her sprained ankle.
As of the 5 p.m. Saturday posting of the rating-percentage index on chsaanow.com, the Devils are ranked No. 3 and should host a regional tournament next week in Gypsum.
Meanwhile, Battle Mountain (14-9) went 2-2 at a tourney in Coal Ridge. The Huskies lost to Pagosa Springs, 25-20, 25-15, beat Glenwood Springs, 25-22, 25-14, fell to Delta, 16-25, 25-22, 15-13, and beat Coal Ridge, 25-23, 26-24, 21-25, 17-25, 15-12.
Recommended Stories For You
As of the last RPI standings, the Huskies were ranked No. 14 with a record of 13-9, meaning the Coal Ridge match had not been processed by the computer. The Huskies are crossing their collective fingers that the win might jump them into No. 12, the last spot to host a regional tournament.
In 2A action, both Vail Mountain and Vail Christian saw their seasons end at the district tournament in Parachute.
VMS (14-7) beat Soroco, but lost to West Grand. The Saints (10-11) topped Hayden, but fell to Meeker. Paonia, Meeker and West Grand will represent the 2A Slope in regionals.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Hess: Boilermakers shock the world against Buckeyes (column)
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Pitkin County Courthouse ICE arrest likely a first