Devils nab another trophy
September 22, 2012
ARVADA – Another week, another trophy.
Such is the delightfully-mundane existence of Eagle Valley cross country these days.
The Devils boys picked up their third trophy in as many weeks, talking third out of 20-plus teams at the Wildcat Invitational at Arvada West High School Friday.
“Our goal was to go down there and get a trophy,” Devils coach Melinda Brandt said.
Gregg Salaz (17 minutes, 16 seconds), Hunter Burnham (17:28) and Nathan Maddox (17:41) all cracked 18 minutes and were all in the top 20. Carson McQueeney was the latest Devil to pop into the team’s top five with an 18:21. Rafael Gurule was right behind him in 18:22.
“We showed that last weekend wasn’t a fluke,” Brandt said. “We can get guys in the low 17s on a regular basis.”
Recommended Stories For You
The Eagle Valley girls wanted a top-five finish and they weren’t denied. They took fourth. And they had a rather abrupt start.
“I was helping the guys get ready and my assistant coach came up to me and said, ‘All the girls are on the line,'” Brandt said. “I lost track of time. All the girls were throwing off their sweats.”
It turned out that the Devils blew to and then out of the start. It was one of their better starts of the season.
“We may not want to do that every week,” Brandt joked.
Gabriela Villa was 10th in 20:49. Nikki Cunning took 14th in 20:59. Mindy Alderete was 29th (22:00); Chantal Willoughby 18th (21:12) and Maggie Gilman 33rd (22:12).
The Hoss Awards went to Matt Genelin and Megan Muehlethaler.
Eagle Valley is at the Anna Banana Invitational at Fruita next week.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Crawling around Colorado’s mountains, personal snowcats are becoming so ubiquitous they even have a jamboree
- Tom Brady studies Lindsey Vonn tape as he prepares to send it on skis
- Vail Nordic skier Haley Brewster wins Jr National Championships 5k
- Ski & Snowboard Club Vail takes 18 of 24 podiums at U14 regional championships
- Denver Nuggets earn playoff berth years in the making
- Letter: Let Vail Resorts worry about its own employees
- Crews clear rock slide blocking both lanes on I-70 near Dowd Junction
- Native son, local firefighter Eric Hill dies in CDOT accident
- 70K in one day: How this snowboarder hit 70,000 vertical feet at Beaver Creek
- Eagle County Schools names three superintendent finalists