Devils soccer wraps regular season with win
April 30, 2015
ASPEN — Eagle Valley soccer is in.
That's right. Eagle Valley girls soccer is in the playoffs after a 6-1 win at Aspen on Thursday. When the bracket comes out on Sunday on chsaa.org, the bigger question is where?
In 2013, the Devils were 3-11, and improved to 7-8 last season. This spring, the Devils are 12-3, thank you. And, that is the first time the Eagle Valley girls have qualified for the postseason since moving up to Class 4A during the 2004-05 academic year.
Eagle Valley looked playoff ready in Aspen, leading the Skiers 5-0 at the half.
"We're really in full-bore preparation mode for the playoffs," Devils coach Stephen Baxter said. "We fine-tuned a couple of minor things. We're looking forward to the playoffs and seeing how far we can take this."
Recommended Stories For You
Mariel Gutierrez had her customary hat trick. Jessie Adams, Kaitlyn Borah and Maddie Baxter also scored. Those last three listed are critical. Whoever's playing Eagle Valley on Wednesday in the first round will take one look at maxpreps.com and see Gutierrez's 32 goals this season, and put its defensive focus on her.
Others will have to score and this is a nice sign.
Not only are the Devils in, but they are in the mix for a top-16 seed and a home game on Wednesday. Eagle Valley is No. 12 in the maxpreps.com poll, which is used as a consideration in the seeding process.
"We're hoping to be at home," Stephen Baxter said. "We're hoping to stay in that area of the rankings."
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Freud: At the break: Forecast for the second half of baseball (column)
- Pritchard: Honing agility takes more than the Ickey shuffle (column)
- The Gentle Summit: The easiest 14ers in Colorado for a first-timer
- Photos: Mikaela Shiffrin at the ESPYS
- Cope: The World Cup finalists have been shaped by a changing world (column)
- Suspects in Lake Christine Fire arrested at residence in Basalt
- Eagle County wildfires could have knocked out electricity to thousands
- Eagle County, local towns are being asked to help fund Forest Service operations
- Modular homes are being used for a growing number of Vail Valley projects
- Obituary: Zachary Domenico, Jan. 25, 1990, to July 7, 2018