Devils softball blanks Aspen
September 29, 2012
GYPSUM – Move over, Homer Bailey.
The Cincinnati Reds pitcher wasn’t the only hurler tossing a gem this weekend. While Bailey tossed a no-no Friday, Eagle Valley senior Megan Osteen was perfect against Aspen Saturday at the Gypsum Sports Complex in the Devils’ 18-0 win against Aspen.
With the game called because of the mercy rule, Osteen faced the minimum 12 batters and set them all down – 10 by strikeout and two well-fielded ground balls. She had just two full counts.
“Obviously, she’s the one who has ball every pitch, but it was team effort,” Devils skipper Robert Ellsworth said. “I think they knew (about the perfect game).”
And, as such, Ellsworth wasn’t saying a thing. (Baseball and softball people are very superstitious and you never say anything to pitcher in such a situation.)
Osteen got plenty of help offensively, starting with herself. She rapped a double and had three RBIs. Rylee Ellsworth knocked in a run. Cody Osteen, Kearstan Sanders, Ally Zehring and Ellsworth all scored multiple runs in the rout.
Recommended Stories For You
And that was a great way to send off Megan Osteen and Ally Zehring on Senior Day.
“What tremendous leadership they portray,” Rob Ellsworth said. “They’re both quiet individuals, and yet, when they speak, people listen. They just two tremendous assets to the team, just incredible.”
Eagle Valley (6-10) wraps the season with a twinbill at Delta on Friday at 2 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon