Eagle Valley soccer nips Glenwood Springs, 1-0
September 15, 2016
GLENWOOD SPRINGS — The Eagle Valley soccer team is way too young to remember the old aftershave commercial for Skin Bracer, whose motto was, "Thanks, I needed that."
But the Devils really needed that. Not a shave, but a 1-0 win at Glenwood Springs on Thursday night.
After a tough week with 2-1 losses to Steamboat Springs and Holy Family, Eagle Valley is back in the win column with three precious points in Glenwood.
"It's great timing," Devils coach Bratzo Horruitiner said. "We really needed it. We lost to Steamboat on our own mistakes. It's our only league loss. If we want to keep our hopes alive we know it's important to play like it's the final."
It's not been a secret that Eagle Valley has been struggling at goalie, and so the Devils looked to a member of the family to shore up that position on Thursday. Ever Ortiz, the younger brother of David Ortiz, Class of 2014, got the call and passed his first test with flying colors.
Meanwhile, Juan Garduno scored in the second half and that stood up.
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle Valley continues its road trip with a match today at Montrose.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire