Eagle Valley soccer nips Glenwood Springs, 1-0
September 15, 2016
GLENWOOD SPRINGS — The Eagle Valley soccer team is way too young to remember the old aftershave commercial for Skin Bracer, whose motto was, "Thanks, I needed that."
But the Devils really needed that. Not a shave, but a 1-0 win at Glenwood Springs on Thursday night.
After a tough week with 2-1 losses to Steamboat Springs and Holy Family, Eagle Valley is back in the win column with three precious points in Glenwood.
"It's great timing," Devils coach Bratzo Horruitiner said. "We really needed it. We lost to Steamboat on our own mistakes. It's our only league loss. If we want to keep our hopes alive we know it's important to play like it's the final."
It's not been a secret that Eagle Valley has been struggling at goalie, and so the Devils looked to a member of the family to shore up that position on Thursday. Ever Ortiz, the younger brother of David Ortiz, Class of 2014, got the call and passed his first test with flying colors.
Meanwhile, Juan Garduno scored in the second half and that stood up.
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle Valley continues its road trip with a match today at Montrose.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Freud: Beaver Creek Birds of Prey saga vaults Hirscher to win? (column)
- Nothing finer: Battle Mountain cross-country’s Hardings head to North Carolina
- Freud: With 5 wins, does Shiffrin shoot for history? (column)
- Watch live: Dew Tour Day 2 — women’s ski superpipe & snowboard slopestyle, team snowboard
- Jake Pates, of Eagle, wins Dew Tour halfpipe competition
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Vail Valley businesses need lots of seasonal help: there are 1,600 job openings