Friday’s basketball wrap
February 3, 2017
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Blasted Ethan Riniker.
The Steamboat Springs senior sank a bucket with 15 seconds to go on Friday night as the Sailors upset Eagle Valley, 48-47.
It was three games in four nights for the Devils (13-6 overall and 6-2 in the Slope). Steamboat's a tough place to play, and Eagle Valley didn't play its best.
"We still hold our destiny in our own hands with Rifle on Tuesday," Devils coach Chris Walls said. "That's the one we need to take. We still feel good about that. Tonight was just one of those games."
The biggest concern is Jimmy Murphy. He went down with a knee injury on Friday night. Walls said there's no definite news yet. Feel free to think good thoughts, nonetheless.
Eagle Valley's girls got the perfunctory 41-34 win over the Steamboat earlier on Friday night.
Recommended Stories For You
As coach Walls noted, the Devils host Rifle on Tuesday at 5:30 and 7 p.m. in big games for both teams.
Saints sweep DeBeque
EDWARDS — Welcome back, Seb.
Sebastian Moritz lit it up with 28 points as Vail Christian boys basketball beat DeBeque, 79-36.
Bryan Trujillo had eight points and 10 rebounds, the latter being pretty darn good for a point guard. Vail Christian (6-8, 6-3) actually had 32 defensive rebounds against the Dragons.
Joseph Emmer played outstanding defense and Mac Schmidt was big off the bench.
The ladies easily handled the Dragons, 51-19, as Sarah Heredia had 16 points and Marti Schmidt 10.
The DeBeque games are a tuneup for today's games at Rangley.
VMS tames Tigers
HAYDEN — Vail Mountain School basketball rolled past Hayden, 60-29, on the road.
Griffin O'Connell led the way with 21 points for the Gore Rangers (8-4, 7-3).
VMS hosts Plateau Valley today.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Hess: Boilermakers shock the world against Buckeyes (column)
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Pitkin County Courthouse ICE arrest likely a first