Gore Rangers and Huskies soccer roll to wins Tuesday
October 11, 2016
EAST VAIL — The sprint began well on Tuesday.
Vail Mountain School soccer has four games alone this week on the schedule and six games in the final 10 days of the regular season.
The Gore Rangers started that run with a 6-1 win against Moffat County on Tuesday at Bandoni Alumni Field.
Liam Hurley and Kevin Garcia, both assisted by Peter Ferraro, gave VMS (8-2 overall and 4-1 in the 3A Slope) a 2-1 lead at halftime.
"We had a conversation with the boys (at the half) about playing more simply," VMS coach Pete Petrovski said. "We wanted to be more direct to goal and play on the ground. They went out and did exactly that."
And your Man of the Match was Gacia. He assisted on VMS' three goals in the first seven minutes of the second half. Max Bervy got the first, a nice plum for the defender who's been superb all season in back. The other beneficiaries were Christian Trevino and Ferraro. Ferraro scored VMS' sixth, which was surprisingly not assisted by Garcia.
Recommended Stories For You
The Gore Rangers are home today at 4:30 p.m. for the Colorado Rocky Mountain School.
Huskies blank Bears
EDWARDS — Battle Mountain soccer got its perfunctory 8-0 win against Rifle on Tuesday night behind a Creek Kamby hat trick.
Frankie Carillo, Cody Bahan, Juan Macias, Taylor Staughton and Luke Wilson also scored.
Those the first varsity goals for both Carillo and Wilson.
The Huskies (11-2 and 9-1 in the 4A Slope) have two games to go and they're both big ones. Battle Mountain is at Glenwood Springs on Thursday. "At Glenwood" is always a dreaded sight on the schedule for the Huskies. Battle Mountain closes the season a week from today with what should be a showdown against Steamboat Springs in Edwards.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Hess: Boilermakers shock the world against Buckeyes (column)
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Pitkin County Courthouse ICE arrest likely a first