Huskies volleyball overcomes errors, Sailors to win
September 14, 2017
EDWARDS — Yo, Devin Huffman and Chris Hoevel, leave the volleyball to the Huskies.
Battle Mountain volleyball is OK on its own, fellas. The Huskies' spikers got a much needed 25-17, 22-25, 25-21, 25-16 win over Steamboat Springs on Thursday, Sept. 14, in Edwards.
Yes, let the record state that Hoevel was victorious over Huffman in the serving competition between sets, a victory whose significance will grow with each telling. But there's a reason Tatum Huffman, not Devin, does the volleyball for the family.
The Huskies made some moves before Thursday's match. Lillian Benway moved to opposite hitter. Ariel Webb and Sylka Snyder saw more time at outside hitter. That left Eleanor Sheahan and Huffman (that would be Tatum) in the middle.
The goal of these machinations is trying to help the Huskies get out of its own way. Battle Mountain (3-3 overall and 2-2 in the 4A Slope) has been killing itself with unforced errors.
"We played more to the potential I believe we can play," Huskies coach Jason Fitzgerald said. "Probably 85 percent of our issues are mistakes. It showed at times that we were steadier."
Recommended Stories For You
The Huskies won the third set 25-21, despite seven serving errors. This kind of play has likely aged Fitzgerald several years in the first month of the season. The upside of these mistakes is that they can be fixed, and the coach still thinks the Huskies have the stuff to complete with the elite of the league.
Games continue Tuesday
Battle Mountain flashed a little bit of that potential in fourth and decisive set. Up just 13-12 with Sheahan serving, Huffman came up with a big block. The Huskies ran off five points.
Chloe Brook served up an ace as part of the concluding run. That rally included a tip from Sheahan and a closing smash from Lillian Benway.
Battle Mountain continues with league play on Tuesday, Sept. 19.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Tuesday, Oct. 16: Battle Mountain volleyball; Vail Mountain soccer and volleyball
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect