Battle Mountain wrestling ready for regional tourney
February 9, 2017
EDWARDS — The Metro region is meeting in Montrose. That's perfectly logical.
Welcome to Class 4A's Region 4 Wrestling Tournament in downtown metropolitan Montrose. Nothing against the fine town of Montrose, but CHSAA is somewhat geographically challenged.
Whatever it's called, Battle Mountain will be there with a quintet of grapplers with state dreams.
"We've been ramping it up just like college wrestling, going almost nonstop for two-and-a-half hours," Huskies coach Angelo Vasquez said. "The kids face an intense wrestler in every tournament. What they have to realize is that at regionals, everyone is intense."
Based on the regular season, Mario DeLara (132 pounds) is likely the Huskies' best shot. The junior is 31-8 this season. Don't overlook Demetrio Velasco at 220 pounds, though. He's placed twice this season at tournaments populated mostly by 5A wrestlers.
Sophomore Humberto Estrada (138) and freshmen Victor Ortiz (145) and Rahul Neupane (152) will also be in the hunt.
Recommended Stories For You
The top four in each weight class advance to state. In the case that the fifth- and fourth-place finishers have not met previously in the tournament, there is a wrestle-back.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Skier dies after crash at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Woman falls through ice in Edwards attempting to rescue dog from pond
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Head ski equipment company leading the way for lighter, performance-based boots