Moltzan, Ghent shine in Nor-Am GS at Vail
December 17, 2013
VAIL — On the heels of the men's and women's World Cups comes the FIS Alpine Nor-Am Cup hosted by Ski & Snowboard Club Vail at Golden Peak. The event kicked off Sunday with the women's giant slalom, the start of a six-day series featuring two giant slalom and two slalom races each for men and women.
Sunday's women's GS was a great day for the Norwegian women with Chloe Margrethe Fausa topping the podium and Kristine Gjelsten Haugen taking third overall. It was a thriller for locals as Ski & Snowboard Club Vail alumni and U.S. Ski Team members Paula Moltzan and Abby Ghent took second and fifth, respectively, overall. U.S. Ski Team member Foreste Peterson took fourth overall.
Representing the juniors, Moltzan took first, Peterson second and Candace Crawford third.
A number of Ski & Snowboard Club Vail current and alumni athletes will race in Vail this week at the Nor-Am Cup, the gateway to the World Cup. Come on down and cheer the local racers. Volunteers are always needed with no experience necessary. See http://www.skiclubvail.org.
The Nor-Am Cup race schedule in Vail at Golden Peak this week is as follows:
Recommended Stories For You
Women's giant slalom: Monday.
Men's/women's slalom: Tuesday and Wednesday.
Men's giant slalom: Thursday and Friday.
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle County snowboarders Jake Pates, Zoe Kalapos competing in Dew Tour modified halfpipe Dec. 15-16
- Freud: With 5 wins, does Shiffrin shoot for history? (column)
- Double gold medalist Ligety gives Utah edge over Denver in Olympic chase
- Freud: Have the Broncos hit rock bottom? We hope so (column)
- Richards: Simple doesn’t always mean easy (column)
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)