Saints girls win at Meeker
February 11, 2016
MEEKER — In a season of firsts here's to another first for Vail Christian girls basketball.
The Saints beat Meeker for the first time in school history on Thursday night, 50-39.
"It's so exciting, " Saints coach Beth Raitt said. "The girls were pumped and so excited afterward. Instead of being tired, they were rejuvenated."
And that would be good since West Grand is coming to town tonight in a huge Gore League tilt.
In a game where the refs let the players play, Jessie Hartley scored 19 points, her fifth game in a row in double-digits. Marti Schmidt went off for 18. Jessie Raitt had eight and Kass Baker five.
The Vail Christian boys had a tough go of it in a 73-58 loss at Meeker. (A reminder — this is nonconference for both teams. Meeker's in the Mesa.)
Recommended Stories For You
"Their size bothered us," Saints coach Sheldon Kuhns said. "But they played really well. Give them a lot of credit. I don't think we played poorly."
Logan Raitt led the way with 17 points, while Ethan Kuhns finished with 15. Bryan Trujillo added 14 and Sebastian Moritz 11.
Both sets of Saints are at home tonight at 6 and 7:30 for big games against the aforementioned Mustangs. It's also Senior Night.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Tuesday, Oct. 16: Battle Mountain volleyball; Vail Mountain soccer and volleyball
- Freud on the NFL: Broncos sinking like a stone
- Vail’s Lindsey Vonn says 2018-19 season will be her last
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail