Saints topple Soroco during Homecoming match Tuesday
September 13, 2016
EDWARDS — Beating Soroco for Homecoming? That's just music to the collective ear of Vail Christian volleyball.
The Saints downed the Rams, 25-8, 25-20, 25-27, 25-20, on Tuesday night at the Wheeler Athletic Center in Edwards.
Homecoming can sometimes be a touch-and-go experience amidst all the festivities. That said, maybe every game should be Homecoming for the Saints from now on.
"They came out strong," Saints coach Sara Carlton said. "That was the best start we had all season. They were just playing extremely well from the first point. The crowd gave them a lot of energy, too."
On that count, way to go, Saints football.
And since everything Saints-Rams is always close, the latter won the third set, but Vail Christian found a way to close the match.
Recommended Stories For You
"They just had to play their game and not let the ball drop," Carlton said. "They fought for every point and everyone was doing their part to get the win."
Marti Schmidt was in double-digits in blocks. Your unsung heroine was Tanner Pierce-Durance, giving the Saints some depth at middle block. Abby Bossow and Ava Spangler ran the show nicely in their double-setting role.
The Saints (3-2 overall and 3-1 in the 2A Slope) are off until Sept. 23 when they head to Hotchkiss.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Radamus gets his first World Cup points
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Saturday: Vail Christian, Battle Mountain, Eagle Valley basketball and Huskies hockey
- Pates 5th at Dew Tour, says he wants more modified halfpipe competitions in snowboarding
- Jake Pates, of Eagle, wins Dew Tour halfpipe competition
- US skiers sweep modified halfpipe competition
- Skier dies after crash at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Vail Pass upgrades will have to balance needs of motorists, cyclists, wildlife