Saints volleyball wins three
September 29, 2012
EDWARDS – To say that this has been a year of adjustment for Vail Christian volleyball would be a serious understatement.
The Saints saw their libero (McKenzie O’Brien), setter (Kylie Alexander) and top outside hitter (Ashyln Gruber) graduate last spring. Those three were the basis upon which everything ran for the last few years.
Last week, setter Kyra Webb went down with a strained MCL and should be out 2-4 weeks. Then toss in that Celia Smith and Bella McCormick, transfers from Battle Mountain, became eligible this weekend, and one might think Vail Christian’s got a mess on its hands.
Actually, the kids did just fine.
Vail Christian went 3-0 this weekend. The Saints took North Park in five Friday, and captured a Saturday twinbill beating Hotchkiss in four and sweeping Plateau Valley. With the three wins, the Saints are above .500 again at 6-5 and 2-3 in the 2A Slope.
“We’re using different lineups for different opponents,” Saints coach Cathy Alexander said. “It was a good midseason check to see where we are.”
Recommended Stories For You
Vail Christian host Soroco Tuesday for its Homecoming game at 6 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Nothing finer: Battle Mountain cross-country’s Hardings head to North Carolina
- Freud: With 5 wins, does Shiffrin shoot for history? (column)
- Freud: Beaver Creek Birds of Prey saga vaults Hirscher to win? (column)
- Breckenridge disabled sports event helps Las Vegas shooting survivor move forward with her life
- Re-imagined superpipe highlights this weekend’s post-Olympic Dew Tour
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days