Saints volleyball wins three
September 29, 2012
EDWARDS – To say that this has been a year of adjustment for Vail Christian volleyball would be a serious understatement.
The Saints saw their libero (McKenzie O’Brien), setter (Kylie Alexander) and top outside hitter (Ashyln Gruber) graduate last spring. Those three were the basis upon which everything ran for the last few years.
Last week, setter Kyra Webb went down with a strained MCL and should be out 2-4 weeks. Then toss in that Celia Smith and Bella McCormick, transfers from Battle Mountain, became eligible this weekend, and one might think Vail Christian’s got a mess on its hands.
Actually, the kids did just fine.
Vail Christian went 3-0 this weekend. The Saints took North Park in five Friday, and captured a Saturday twinbill beating Hotchkiss in four and sweeping Plateau Valley. With the three wins, the Saints are above .500 again at 6-5 and 2-3 in the 2A Slope.
“We’re using different lineups for different opponents,” Saints coach Cathy Alexander said. “It was a good midseason check to see where we are.”
Recommended Stories For You
Vail Christian host Soroco Tuesday for its Homecoming game at 6 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area