Short track series continues Wednesday in Minturn
May 7, 2012
VAIL, Colorado – The Vail Recreation District’s Short Track MTB Race Series continues this week on Wednesday, featuring a new venue at Maloit Park in Minturn.
Race-day activities begin at 5 p.m. with day-of registration, which will last until 6:30 p.m. The first race of the event begins at 5:30 p.m. for kids ages 8 to 10, followed by a race at 5:45 p.m. for kids ages 11 to 14. Adult races will begin at 6 p.m. with the beginner category and continue with the sport category at 6:25 p.m. The final race, for bicyclists in the expert category, will begin at 6:50 p.m.
Costs to participate in the races are $5 for kids and $12 for adults. An after-party will be held at Kirby Cosmos BBQ Bar in Minturn following the race for all participants and spectators. All racers will have the chance to win raffle prizes, and adult racers will receive a free Bud Light.
Unlike the seven races the VRD has planned this summer for the Athletic Club at the Westin’s Vail, Beaver Creek Mountain Bike Race Series, the Spring MTB Short Track Series will not award prizes or points for individual racers or teams.
The short-track race will take place on a short dirt loop that will take riders around the Maloit Park softball fields and campground below the Holy Cross Wilderness backdrop. The course will not use the Nordic trails in the area, as they are closed for revegitation. Adult participants will complete as many laps as possible in 20 minutes, with an average lap taking approximately two minutes to finish. The length of time for the children racers is 10 minutes.
The Short Track MTB Race Series will conclude May 16 at Beaver Creek. Sponsors of the 2012 spring Short Track MTB Race Series include the Athletic Club at the Westin, East West Resorts, Vail Valley Medical Center, Beaver Creek Resort, Bud Light, Apex Dental, Central Rockies Mortgage, Honey Stinger, Howard Head Sports Medicine and Dusty Boot.
Recommended Stories For You
Preregistration for the Short Track MTB Race Series, as well as information about VRD’s lineup of spring and summer mountain-bike activities, is available by calling 970-479-2280.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard