Soccer wrap: Eagle Valley, Vail Mountain School boys pick up wins
August 31, 2017
GYPSUM — Eagle Valley soccer capped a busy start to the season with a 3-0 win over Rifle in its home opener on Thursday night at Gypsum's John Ramunno Field.
The Devils overcame a slow start with goals by Alex Torres, Elian Gonzalez and Jorge Portillo.
"We started off a bit rocky," Devils coach Jere Simms said. "The second half was what our team is. Our abilities were showcased in the second half."
Simms also liked how his squad bounced back from a loss to Battle Mountain on Tuesday.
Eagle Valley is 2-1 overall and 1-1 in the 4A Western Slope. The Devils head to Steamboat Springs on Thursday for their first meeting of the season with the Sailors.
Recommended Stories For You
VMS blanks Skiers
Vail Mountain School soccer got its first win of the season in an always-satisfying manner — a 1-0 win at Aspen.
This is the first of two meetings between the Gore Rangers and Skiers, and, the Sept. 25 meeting between the two teams in East Vail — will be the 3A Slope contest.
After a 3-0 loss at 4A Battle Mountain, Wednesday's game was a nice reminder that, despite massive graduation losses, VMS will be a factor in the 3A scene.
Wyatt Hall scored during the first half and that stood as the game-winner.
"As a team, we're starting to find more balance on the field," coach Alex Darbut said. "We're passing and finding space and moving the ball better in the midfield."
Your midfielders of note against the Skiers were Tucker Strauch, Nathan Rouad and Zach Stockton. Theo Marston got the shutout in the net.
The next on the to-do list is work on keeping possession better in the attacking third of the field. The Gore Rangers (1-1) host Colorado Academy today at venerable Bandoni Alumni Field at 4 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle County snowboarders Jake Pates, Zoe Kalapos competing in Dew Tour modified halfpipe Dec. 15-16
- Double gold medalist Ligety gives Utah edge over Denver in Olympic chase
- Freud: Have the Broncos hit rock bottom? We hope so (column)
- Richards: Simple doesn’t always mean easy (column)
- Pedal Power Winter Race Series begins Saturday, Dec. 15, with Tennessee Pass snowshoe
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- Obermeyer’s throwback styles make a comeback for 2019