State wrestling: Local trio falls in semis
February 19, 2016
DENVER — Friday nights at the state-wrestling meet can be cruel as an athlete is so close to the ultimate goal — the state final — but the dream all too often collides with the reality of elite competition.
Eagle County's three remaining wrestlers in the championship brackets all lost their state semifinal matches at the Pepsi Center. Though those losses are devastating, all three have assured themselves of podium finishes — top sox — by the end of the weekend.
There's still a lot for which to wrestle for the trio.
Lamar's Michael Johnson got a 7-5 decision against Eagle Valley's Noah Hermosillo at 132 pounds in the 3A tournament. Hermosillo awaits the winner of Paul Cooksey of Weld Central or Steamboat Springs' Dakota Thvedt.
Florence's Ty Addington pinned Eagle Valley's Raul Lopez at 3:45 in the 3A 138-pound semifinals. Lopez continues on at the tourney against Dolores Huerta's Christian Guerrero or Dylan Yancey of Platte Valley
Class 3A action continues on Saturday, starting at 10:30 a.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Battle Mountain's Wyatt Harwood's surprise run in the 4A 170-pound championship bracket came to a halt after he was pinned by Greeley Central's Andue Rojas at 2:24. Harwood goes into the consolation bracket against an opponent who was still to be determined late on Friday night.
State wrestling always falls behind — it's one of life's constants, along with death and taxes. Thus, Battle Mountain's Jesus Morales was still waiting to take on Greeley Central's Justus Strand late Friday night at 132 pounds in 4A in wrestle-backs.
Class 4A wrestle-backs continue at noon on Saturday
The Huskies' Collin Stilson was eliminated from the 4A 126-pound division with a loss to Longmont's Will Hickman. Stilson finishes the year with an impressive 39-11 mark.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect