Thursday’s Vail Valley preps wrap: Harrison makes state; volleyball, soccer and football updates
September 28, 2017
EAST VAIL — "Jordan Harrison, Vail Mountain, 9:51 a.m.," doesn't seem like too big of a deal to find on the internet.
Harrison is going to state. That's his tee time on Monday, Oct. 2, at Indian Peaks Golf Course in Lafayette. He had been the first alternate from Class 3A Region 4, having shot an 85 at regionals last week at Devil's Thumb.
"It feels really cool," Harrison said. "It's a big relief. People were saying the first alternate goes in, but there are no guarantees. I had a sigh of relief."
Harrison is correct about the first alternate. Vail Christian's Robby Bowles raised the concept of the first alternate making state to a higher art form, doing it two years in a row during the earlier part of the decade.
He's just one of several local golfers to get belated tickets. But Harrison is a happy camper that it's official.
Recommended Stories For You
Harrison had been practicing, regardless. The key for him is the dreaded blow-up hole. He and teammate Finn Sapp will use Sunday's, Oct. 1, practice round at Indian Peaks wisely.
"I'm going to identify which are the toughest holes for me, where it's safe to miss," Harrison said. "What's been killing me is the blow-up hole. I'll play 14, 15 holes really well and then the others are really damaging."
Sapp has a 10:18 a.m. tee time on Monday. Meanwhile, Eagle Valley's Barrett Jones starts his 4A state tournament at Raccoon Creek in Littleton at 8:57 a.m.
Huskies, Gore Rangers spikers win
Battle Mountain volleyball won back-to-back matches for the first time this season, dispatching Rifle, 25-16, 25-10, 25-12 on Thursday, Sept. 28, in Rifle.
Coach Jason Fitzgerald said that his middles, Eleanor Sheahan and Tatum Huffman, had big nights.
Battle Mountain (5-4 overall and 4-3 overall) is at Vail Mountain on Tuesday, Oct. 3.
Speaking of the Gore Rangers, they won 2A Eagle County bragging rights, sweeping past Vail Christian, 25-16, 25-6, 25-6, on Thursday.
That snapped a two-game skid for the Gore Rangers.
Devils football finishes nonleague slate
Eagle Valley football finished a brutal stretch of nonconference play with a 41-7 loss at Northridge on Thursday, Sept. 28.
The Devils (0-5) open the 3A Slope next week with Summit County at John Ramunno Field for Homecoming.
Rifle soccer beats Eagle Valley
Rifle soccer has a two-game winning streak.
Unfortunately, the second win came at the expense of Eagle Valley, 1-0, on Thursday, Sept. 28.
The Devils (3-7, 2-5) will try to turn things around on Tuesday, Oct. 3, at Glenwood Springs.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail local River Radamus wins junior world championships super-G, Shiffrin offers congrats
- 1 dead after avalanche hits Swiss ski resort
- Despite paralyzed arm, Kiana Clay aspires to break ground as female snowboarder, motocross rider, surfer
- 11 Vail Nordic skiers make Cross-County Junior Nationals in Alaska
- Pritchard: Combating loss of muscle mass after aging starts (column)
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85