UPDATE: Devils advance two to state wrestling semis
February 17, 2017
DENVER — Eagle Valley has two wrestlers in the state semifinals going into Friday night's action at the 3A state tournament at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
Luke Morrissey is in the Final Four at 106 pounds after dispatching Carlos Hutchings, of Salida, 10-3. And, as expected, Noah Hermosillo is in the 138 semis after pinning Berthoud's Matt Bailey.
Local wrestlers also recorded their first state-tournament wins after falling in the first round on Thursday. Eagle Valley's Lucas Comroe (113) and Battle Mountain's Mario DeLara (132) got wins on the consolation side of the bracket and are still in the hunt for medals.
Eagle Valley's Raul Lopez, a state placer last season, fell in quarterfinals, but wil also try to wrestle back to the podium later this evening. The Devils' Caleb Laisure (145), Davis Ward (152) and Justin Morrison (160) all saw their tournaments end with their second loss.
This story will be updated after Friday night's action.
Recommended Stories For You
106 — Luke Morrissey, Eagle Valley dec. Carlos Hutchings, Salida, 10-3, in quarterfinals; Morrissey faces Jacob Duran, Fort Lupton, in semifinals.
113 — Lucas Comroe, Eagle Valley, tech. fall L.T. Torres, Berthoud, 20-2; Comroe continues consolation bracket with Noah Damien, Valley.
132 — Anthony Quintana, Buena Vista dec. Raul Lopez, Eagle Valley, 5-4, in quarterfinals; Lopez wrestles Colt Rohrig, Rifle, in consolation bracket.
138 — Noah Hermosillo, Eagle Valley, fall Matt Bailey, Berthoud, in quarterfinals; Hermosillo faces Nick Gallegos, Jefferson, in semifinals.
145 — Ty Addington, Florence dec. Caleb Laisure, Eagle Valley, 6-0; Laisure eliminated.
152 — Drake Zimmerman, Moffat County, dec. Davis Ward, Eagle Valley, 7-4; Ward eliminated.
160 — Jeron Petterson, Brush, dec. Justin Morrison, Eagle Valley, 6-2; Morrison eliminated.
132 — Mario DeLara, Battle Mountain, fall Adrian Rincon, Erie, 4:48; DeLara continues consolation bracket with Jeremy Ashton, Mead.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail’s Lindsey Vonn says 2018-19 season will be her last
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain football squeaks by Steamboat Springs, 35-32
- Vail Valley weekend preps wrap: No kidding, everybody wins
- Battle Mountain Huskies volleyball nips Eagle Valley Devils in five for season sweep
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer keeps rolling, blanks Devils, 8-0
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- “Kavanaugh, get used to it”: Breckenridge bartender gets stiffed — with a message
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- In Avon, a controversial move will be discussed in building which was the subject of a controversial move