UPDATE: Devils advance two to state wrestling semis
February 17, 2017
DENVER — Eagle Valley has two wrestlers in the state semifinals going into Friday night's action at the 3A state tournament at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
Luke Morrissey is in the Final Four at 106 pounds after dispatching Carlos Hutchings, of Salida, 10-3. And, as expected, Noah Hermosillo is in the 138 semis after pinning Berthoud's Matt Bailey.
Local wrestlers also recorded their first state-tournament wins after falling in the first round on Thursday. Eagle Valley's Lucas Comroe (113) and Battle Mountain's Mario DeLara (132) got wins on the consolation side of the bracket and are still in the hunt for medals.
Eagle Valley's Raul Lopez, a state placer last season, fell in quarterfinals, but wil also try to wrestle back to the podium later this evening. The Devils' Caleb Laisure (145), Davis Ward (152) and Justin Morrison (160) all saw their tournaments end with their second loss.
This story will be updated after Friday night's action.
Recommended Stories For You
106 — Luke Morrissey, Eagle Valley dec. Carlos Hutchings, Salida, 10-3, in quarterfinals; Morrissey faces Jacob Duran, Fort Lupton, in semifinals.
113 — Lucas Comroe, Eagle Valley, tech. fall L.T. Torres, Berthoud, 20-2; Comroe continues consolation bracket with Noah Damien, Valley.
132 — Anthony Quintana, Buena Vista dec. Raul Lopez, Eagle Valley, 5-4, in quarterfinals; Lopez wrestles Colt Rohrig, Rifle, in consolation bracket.
138 — Noah Hermosillo, Eagle Valley, fall Matt Bailey, Berthoud, in quarterfinals; Hermosillo faces Nick Gallegos, Jefferson, in semifinals.
145 — Ty Addington, Florence dec. Caleb Laisure, Eagle Valley, 6-0; Laisure eliminated.
152 — Drake Zimmerman, Moffat County, dec. Davis Ward, Eagle Valley, 7-4; Ward eliminated.
160 — Jeron Petterson, Brush, dec. Justin Morrison, Eagle Valley, 6-2; Morrison eliminated.
132 — Mario DeLara, Battle Mountain, fall Adrian Rincon, Erie, 4:48; DeLara continues consolation bracket with Jeremy Ashton, Mead.
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle County snowboarders Jake Pates, Zoe Kalapos competing in Dew Tour modified halfpipe Dec. 15-16
- Richards: Simple doesn’t always mean easy (column)
- Double gold medalist Ligety gives Utah edge over Denver in Olympic chase
- Pedal Power Winter Race Series begins Saturday, Dec. 15, with Tennessee Pass snowshoe
- Freud: Have the Broncos hit rock bottom? We hope so (column)
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- Obermeyer’s throwback styles make a comeback for 2019