UPDATE: Devils’ Hermosillo makes state-wrestling final
February 17, 2017
DENVER — The time has come.
Eagle Valley's Noah Hermosillo and Centauri's Quinton Montague are ready to rumble. The two will meet in Saturday night's 138-pound Class 3A state-title bout.
Hermosillo is 43-1 this season and that only blemish is Montague earlier this season. Hermosillo, who finished fourth at the state tournament at 132 pounds last year, pinned Berthoud's Matt Bailey and scored a major decision against Jefferson's Bick Gallegos on Friday to reach the final.
Eagle Valley's Luke Morrissey (106) fell in the state semifinals to Fort Lupton's Jacob Duran. Morrissey is still in prime position to medal on Saturday.
Eagle Valley's Lucas Comroe and Raul Lopez are still alive and kicking in the consolation bracket, working their way through wrestle-backs.
Earlier in the day, Eagle Valley's Caleb Laisure, Devin Ward and Justin Morrison and Battle Mountain's Mario DeLara were eliminated at the state tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
106 — Jacob Duran, Fort Lupton, dec. Luke Morrisey, Eagle Valley 4-0 in the semifinals; Morrissey wrestles the winner of Karson Cox, Moffat County, and Owen Berry, Buena Vista, in the consolation bracket.
113 — Lucas Comroe, Eagle Valley dec. Noah Damien, Valley, 4-3, in consolation bracket; Comroe faces Jimmy Gonzalez, Pueblo Central, in the consolation bracket.
132 — Raul Lopez, Eagle Valley dec. Colt Rohrig, Rifle, 4-2, in the consolation bracket; Lopez faces Jaylen Torrez, Fort Lupton, in the consolation bracket.
138 — Noah Hermosillo, Eagle Valley, maj. dec. Nick Gallegos, Jefferson, 8-0 in state semifinals; Hermosillo faces Quinton Montague, Centauri in state-title bout.
132 — Jeremy Ashton, Mead, tech. fall Mario DeLara, Battle Mountain; 15-0; DeLara eliminated.
Huskies fall to Bulldogs
PALISADE — Battle Mountain boys basketball dropped a pair to Palisade to close out the regular season on Friday night.
The boys fell, 51-38, while the girls lost, 68-19. The Battle Mountain boys will get their postseason draw on Sunday, while the ladies are likely out of playoff contention.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle County snowboarders Jake Pates, Zoe Kalapos competing in Dew Tour modified halfpipe Dec. 15-16
- Double gold medalist Ligety gives Utah edge over Denver in Olympic chase
- Freud: Have the Broncos hit rock bottom? We hope so (column)
- Richards: Simple doesn’t always mean easy (column)
- Pedal Power Winter Race Series begins Saturday, Dec. 15, with Tennessee Pass snowshoe
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Some Vail Valley residents felt small earthquakes that hit Glenwood Springs