Vail Christian Saints basketball sweeps Dragons
February 6, 2018
COLBRAN — Vail Christian basketball had an uneventful trip to Colbran on Tuesday, Feb. 6.
That statement is both a good thing and simply stating the obvious.
The Saints boys took down the Dragons 74-34, while the ladies came away with a 65-55 victory.
The boys (13-3 overall and 9-2 in the 2A Slope) set the tone in their game, outscoring DeBeque, 25-7, during the first quarter.
"It was a good team win," Saints boys coach Sheldon Kuhns said. "We were focusing on the same thing as (against) Rangely (on Saturday, Feb. 3.) — lock down on defense and find the extra pass."
To that end, Bryan Trujillo had six assists to go with 14 points. Sebastian Moritz finished with 17 points, while Zach McKeever double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
Recommended Stories For You
The girls (12-3, 6-2) started slow offensively but poured it on with 43 points during the second half.
Jesse Raitt was her usual self with 26 points, while Sarah Heredia had 16.
"Right now, a league win is a league win," Saints girls coach Doug Bruce said. "Hotchkiss came here and lost. You have to be careful not to stub your toe."
Next up for both Saints teams is a trip to Cedaredge on Friday, Feb. 9. No toe-stubing is allowed.
Devils beat Bears
Eagle Valley boys basketball cranked up the 3-point machine to beat Rifle, 81-59, on Tuesday, Feb. 6, on the road.
The Devils started slowly and led only 32-24 at the half, but pulled away. Raul Pereida led the Devils with 17 points. Carlos Quezada had 14. Tony Hernandez was big with 11 rebounds and nine points. Darryl Gallegos was also big on the glass with 12 boards.
Eagle Valley (6-15 overall, 4-6 in 4A Slope) hosts Palisade on Thursday, Feb. 8.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon