Vail Christian Saints basketball sweeps Dragons
February 6, 2018
COLBRAN — Vail Christian basketball had an uneventful trip to Colbran on Tuesday, Feb. 6.
That statement is both a good thing and simply stating the obvious.
The Saints boys took down the Dragons 74-34, while the ladies came away with a 65-55 victory.
The boys (13-3 overall and 9-2 in the 2A Slope)set the tone in their game, outscoring DeBeque, 25-7, during the first quarter.
"It was a good team win," Saints boys coach Sheldon Kuhns said. "We were focusing on the same thing as (against) Rangely (on Saturday, Feb. 3.) — lock down on defense and find the extra pass."
To that end, Bryan Trujillo had six assists to go with 14 points. Sebastian Moritz finished with 17 points, while Zach McKeever double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
Recommended Stories For You
The girls (12-3, 6-2) started slow offensively but poured it on with 43 points during the second half.
Jesse Raitt was her usual self with 26 points, while Sarah Heredia had 16.
"Right now, a league win is a league win," Saints girls coach Doug Bruce said. "Hotchkiss came here and lost. You have to be careful not to stub your toe."
Next up for both Saints teams is a trip to Cedaredge on Friday, Feb. 9. No toe-stubing is allowed.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Whistle Pig Vail: Everything you need to know about the new summer concert series coming to Vail
- With gold and silver, Mikaela Shiffrin savors the ‘incredibly sweet’ moment
- Alterra reveals Ikon Pass pricing; Aspen-Snowmass role includes 7 days combined
- History of Avon, Part 1: Town of Avon celebrating 40th birthday on Saturday, Feb. 24
- It’s a family matter: Gisin wins gold in combi; Shiffrin second