Vail Mountain blanks Basalt
September 17, 2016
EAST VAIL — Ho-hum, the Vail Mountain School soccer team won another game on Saturday.
VMS rang up a 4-0 win against Basalt at venerable Bandoni Alumni Field.
Gore Rangers coach Pete Petrovski said that his team possessed well, but it wasn't until the second half that VMS found the net.
And the really big shock is that the first goal from on a Peter Ferraro pass to Liam Hurley. That's really rather unprecedented — not.
Peer to Peter was the next tally. That's Carnes to Ferraro. Christian Trevino then set up Kevin Garcia nicely, and Erik Zdechlik caught the Longhorns napping by quickly executing a free kick.
"They're holding themselves accountable to what we expect, not the opponent," Petrovski said. "Basalt's a good side. We expect them to be ready and prepared for us when we play down there in second-to-last game of the season."
Recommended Stories For You
Yes, the second VMS-Basalt game will be the 3A Slope game. Speaking of rematches, the Gore Rangers head to Aspen on Saturday for the league opener.
VMS topped the Skiers, 4-2, in nonconference play.
VMS volleyball takes two
By the way, the VMS team with the best record is — ahem — the volleyball squad.
The Gore Rangers are 4-0 after two wins this weekend. VMS took out Hayden, 25-21, 25-18, 25-23 and then beat Meeker, 25-14, 25-14, 21-25, 25-16.
"It has been amazing seeing the girls open up and play with grit," VMS coach Whitney Armistead said. "They have been so mentally tough and able to push through any breakdowns that we've come into contact with so far."
VMS hits the road next weekend with matches at Paonia and Rangely.
Devils soccer nearly comes back
Eagle Valley soccer was down 4-0 and nearly worked its way all the way back with three second-half goals in 4-3 loss at Montrose on Saturday.
Christer Serna, Juan Garduno and Alex Torres all scored for the Devils (3-4).
Eagle Valley hosts Palisade on Tuesday.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Vail Valley preps: Huskies soccer clinches title in Glenwood Springs
- Eagle-Vail hosts cross-country regionals
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Tuesday, Oct. 16: Battle Mountain volleyball; Vail Mountain soccer and volleyball
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect