Vail Valley preps wrap: Skiing and basketball
Huskies, Gore Rangers put on a show at Ski Cooper
February 8, 2019
SKI COOPER — First off, has everyone warmed up yet?
It's not like anyone expects a tropical paradise for a high school ski race up at Ski Cooper near Leadville, but Thursday's giant slalom was …
Come on, everybody, "How cold was it?"
Really, really cold, but it didn't cool off the hot Battle Mountain and Vail Mountain alpine teams.
The Huskies boys and girls won both races as a team and the Gore Rangers boys were second. Battle Mountain's Will Bettenhausen and Gretchen Pavelich swept the individual titles.
On the boys' side, Battle Mountain and VMS occupied five of the top six spots. Bettenhausen won, followed by the Gore Rangers' Shane Cole and Robert Harnick in third in fourth. The Huskies' Dominik Lettovsky and Max Timm were fifth and sixth.
Recommended Stories For You
Battle Mountain's ladies punched three into the top 10 with Pavelich winning, Berit Frischholz in third and Christina Lettovsky in seventh.
The Nordic teams have their final race of the regular season on Saturday up in Steamboat, while the Alpine squads are at Beaver Creek on Friday for a slalom.
Huskies girls win fourth straight
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Battle Mountain girls basketball made it a sweep of Steamboat Springs with a 47-36 win on Wednesday night.
Gabby Caballero led Battle Mountain (12-7 overall and 8-1 in the 4A Slope) with 11 points, while Audrey Teague had 10.
The boys’ basketball team fell to Steamboat, 41-32, later in the evening.
The Huskies head to Palisade on Saturday.
Devils fall to Demons
GYPSUM — Eagle Valley boys basketball made league-leading Glenwood Springs earn it on Thursday night as the Demons topped the Devils, 66-49.
Eagle Valley (7-10, 2-7) is at Summit County on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the Eagle Valley girls' basketball team lost to Glenwood, 59-34. Maddy Calis had 14 points, while Elizabeth Mendoza finished with 12.
Vail Christian girls win
PAONIA — Vail Christian girls' basketball earned a big win on the road Friday night, winning at Paonia, 40-34.
The Saints (10-7, 5-4) went 10-for-14 from the free-throw line against the Eagles to ice the win.
Abby Kuhns led the Saints with 14 points, while Sarah Heredia finished with 10. Grace McCurdy was the unsung hero with 11 rebounds and seven points.
Vail Christian hosts North Park on Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail local River Radamus wins junior world championships super-G, Shiffrin offers congrats
- 11 Vail Nordic skiers make Cross-County Junior Nationals in Alaska
- 1 dead after avalanche hits Swiss ski resort
- Vail Mountain Winter Uphill complete race results
- Pritchard: Combating loss of muscle mass after aging starts (column)
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- Edwards man comes face to face with mountain lion Tuesday night
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode