Wednesday’s preps wrap: Eagle Valley soccer and Battle Mountain lacrosse
May 10, 2017
The end is difficult.
It's exciting to make the playoffs, but the goal is to keep the season going. Predictably, it was a tough Wednesday across the state for Eagle County's postseason teams on the road.
Eagle Valley soccer
The Devils fell to perennial postseason power Cheyenne Mountain, 3-0, on Wednesday afternoon.
This one was 1-0 at the half.
"We showed so much heart," Devils coach Maggie Sherman said. "They were understanding their job, how they defend. We're happy with where we are and what we did."
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle Valley went from 5-8-2 last spring to 9-7 and a playoff berth in 2017.
Battle Mountain girls lacrosse
Regis was too much for the Huskies during the first round of the 5A girls lacrosse tournament, scoring a 13-2 win.
Chloe Doctor had both of Battle Mountain's goals.
"To be honest, we matched up just fine with them," Huskies coach Jason Fitzgerald said. "A couple of balls go our way and it's 5-5 at the half instead of 6-1."
Natalie Spear had 11 saves for the Huskies in net.
Battle Mountain boys lacrosse
Huskies boys lacrosse actually led 3-2 before Valor Christian took over for a 13-3 victory.
"A young team playing a team like Valor as well as we did will go a long way for us in years to come," Huskies coach Jerry Nichols said. "We continued our playoff streak of making it for the last five years, and I don't see that ending anytime soon. I'm very happy for our young team."
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, email@example.com and @cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Valley preps: Glenwood races past Battle Mountain, 48-3
- Vail Christian football outlasts Plateau Valley, 48-39
- Battle Mountain and Eagle Valley cross-country shine in Region 1 Meet
- Hess: Boilermakers shock the world against Buckeyes (column)
- Vail Valley preps: Battle Mountain soccer finishes regular season with win vs. Sailors
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard