Sprinkler prevents fire from spreading in Vail
VAIL — Vail Fire and Emergency Services crews responded to the report of a fire in the kitchen at Manor Vail Lodge in the early morning hours Tuesday.
The initial alarm was transmitted to Vail Public Safety Communications Center around 1:30 a.m. A fire engine from the Vail Village fire station arrived in just less than five minutes. Additionally, an engine from the West Vail station and Vail Police officers arrived shortly thereafter.
Upon arrival, crews determined that a fire in a bag of cleaning rags in the kitchen of the Lord Gore restaurant had ignited. The fire was quickly extinguished by the activation of a nearby sprinkler head. Fire Marshal Mike Vaughan said the activation of the sprinkler head prevented the fire from getting out of control and causing extensive damage.
Upon investigation, Vaughan says members of the kitchen staff had been doing some cleaning and preparation prior to opening for the coming ski season. After applying linseed oil to the surface of a prep table, an employee disposed of the flammable rags in a laundry bag.
There were no injuries reported. Damage was contained to the waste container in which the rags had been stored and some minimal water damage from the sprinkler activation.
Crews remained on scene until approximately 3:15 a.m. to assist hotel staff with salvage operations.
Vail Fire and Emergency Services recommend that you carefully read the instructions for safe handling and disposal for all flammable and combustible liquids.
The Swiss skier became the seventh first-time winner in the Xfinity Birds of Prey FIS World Cup super-G on Friday at Beaver Creek.