State mistakenly posts name of Bryant’s accuser
DENVER – The name of Kobe Bryant’s accuser was mistakenly posted on a state court Web site on Tuesday as part of a legal filing in the case.
The subpoena showing the 19-year-old Eagle woman’s name and address was left up for about an hour. Court staffers then removed the filing from the site and reposted it with the personal information blacked out.
State courts spokeswoman Karen Salaz said it was unclear how the error was made, but said court staffers are responsible for blacking out such information in public filings.
The alleged victim’s identity has been previously disclosed on various Internet sites and on a radio talk show heard in 60 cities.
In another filing Tuesday, the Vail police department balked at turning over 911 records to Bryant’s attorneys Tuesday, saying it would be violating a court order issued in the sexual assault case against the NBA star.
An attorney for the department asked Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett to quash a subpoena served by Bryant’s attorneys seeking the sealed records.
The judge, who has a number of motions before him in the case against the NBA superstar, did not immediately issue a ruling.
Earlier this month, a state judge rejected a Vail Daily newspaper request to release the 911 records, saying the “”intensely personal” material would subject the 19-year-old accuser to harassment and abuse.
The Vail paper wanted any 911 records made from the accuser’s home this year. Vail police handle emergency calls for the Eagle County sheriff’s office and Eagle police.
Bryant, 25, is charged with raping the woman June 30 in his suite at a mountain resort where she worked and he was a guest. Bryant has said the two had consensual sex.
Bryant is scheduled to appear for an Oct. 9 preliminary hearing at which Gannett will decide whether the Los Angeles Lakers guard will stand trial.
An attorney for the accuser asked Gannett to deny a defense request for a hearing before Oct. 9 on whether she has waived her privacy rights on medical records.
Attorney John Clune said the material could be used only to attack the woman’s credibility, which is not relevant at a preliminary hearing unless other testimony is determined “”wholly implausible.”
Defense attorneys Pamela Mackey and Hal Haddon are seeking medical records from a clinic in Eagle, a hospital in Greeley and the student health service at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, where the woman was a freshman last year. They say the documents would help the judge evaluate the accuser’s credibility.
Prosecutors and Clune are fighting that request, along with a defense attempt to force the accuser to testify in person Oct. 9.
Meanwhile, Gannett set a Monday deadline for written arguments on:
-A defense request to close the preliminary hearing to the public.
-A prosecution request to quash the subpoena seeking the woman’s appearance at the preliminary hearing.
-A media request to authorize internal audio and video transmissions of the preliminary hearing to an “”overflow” courtroom.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User