Summit wildfire caused by kids playing with fireworks | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Summit wildfire caused by kids playing with fireworks

Jane Stebbins

Summit County firefighters spent almost two hours fighting a wildland fire Monday between the Lowry Campground on Swan Mountain Road and Swan Mountain Village near Summit Cove.It apparently was set by kids playing with fireworks Monday evening, fire officials said.The juveniles were being held Monday in U.S. Forest Service custody. Their names were not released because of their ages.About 20 firefighters from Snake River, Lake Dillon and Copper Mountain fire departments responded to the 5:50 p.m. report of smoke on the hillside. They contained the fire – believed to be the largest of this year’s fire season – at 6:20 p.m. Forest Service engines stationed in Eagle County arrived at 7 p.m. to ensure the fire was completely extinguished. The fire burned about an acre, said Snake River Fire Chief Dave Parmley.

“We were fortunate because there was access to the power line (clear cut) that traverses north-south, so we got three engines up there,” he said. “It would have been a different story if we hadn’t been able to apply water as quickly as we did. There were a couple of trees torching, but fortunately, it stayed on the ground pretty well.”Firefighters worry about “crown fires,” those that travel in the tops of trees, because they are more difficult to extinguish than a fire on the ground.The fire, about a quarter-mile west of Swan Meadow Village, didn’t threaten any buildings, but a structural firefighting engine was on hand to protect homes there.Firefighter efforts were eased because high winds that have blasted the county this past week weakened Monday afternoon.


Support Local Journalism