Suspect in Las Vegas shooting held in Denver
LAS VEGAS (AP) ” An 18-year-old man was arrested in a shooting at a school bus stop that injured six young people, police said.
Nicco Tatum was arrested Wednesday in Denver after authorities received a tip that he was headed to Chicago on a bus, police Capt. Kirk Primas said. Tatum is expected to be booked on six counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon and six counts of battery with a deadly weapon.
Tatum was being held in the Denver City Jail on a hold from Las Vegas. A city prosecutor did not immediately return a call Thursday.
Police were still searching for a second suspect.
Six people were wounded Tuesday at a bus stop a few miles from Mojave High School in North Las Vegas. At least one teen remained hospitalized Wednesday.
Alejandro Rios, 18, who was shot in the torso, was upgraded from critical to serious condition, University Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Persinger said. A 17-year-old male also hospitalized had been listed in serious condition late Tuesday, but an update was not available because he has chosen to keep his information private, Persinger said.
A 21-year-old man and three other teens were treated for less severe wounds and released soon after the shooting, authorities said.
Police have said they believed the shooting stemmed from a fight at school over a girl earlier Tuesday. The brawl was contained by school police, who arrested three male students, all about 16, officials said.
Sheriff Doug Gillespie said the fight did not appear to be gang or race-related. But police Officer Jose Montoya said Wednesday that police gang unit investigators were handling the case.
Authorities also were investigating reports of a fight Monday at the bus stop.
“We did get reports that there was an incident at the same bus stop the day before,” Montoya said Wednesday. “But when our officers got there, there was nothing.”
Police and school officials said security would remain tight at campuses throughout the district until at least the end of the week.