Taste wines perfect for sipping on the patio at Avon’s vin48 Wednesday
If you go ...
What: “Wines for summer,” vin48’s weekly wine tasting.
where: vin48 patio in Avon.
When: 5 to 6 p.m. Wednesday.
Cost: $25 includes wine tasting and light appetizers.
More information: Call 970-748-9463 for reservations.
AVON — Try wines perfect for summer at vin48’s weekly wine tasting series. Colorado regional manager Susie Mayr of Kobrand Fine Wines will pour from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday on vin48’s patio. Mayr will feature wines from around the world that are perfect for summer entertaining, including:
• Don Olegario Albarino: Bodegas y Vinedos Don Olegario is an artisanal winery that began making wine in the 1950s. It has developed into a top producer of Albarino, the famous white grape of Rias Baixas. Only handful of Albarinos are produced with grapes from a single property, and even fewer from Val do Salnes, where Bodega Don Olegario owns 12 acres. Don Olegario Albarino is a medium-bodied wine showing opulent aromas and flavors of citrus, flowers, and tropical fruit notes balanced by crisp acidity.
• Louis Jadot Macon-Lugny: Founded in 1859, Louis Jadot is considered to be one of the top producers in Burgundy. They have grown to control over 600 acres of vineyards, 240 of which are prestigious Premier and Grand Cru vineyards. Maison Louis Jadot releases wines that best express the terroir of Burgundy. This beautifully balanced 100 percent Chardonnay was recently named a “Best Buy” and one of the top values in white Burgundy by Wine & Spirits.
• Michele Chiarlo Le Orme Barbera d’Asti: Michele Chiarlo is a seventh-generation Piedmont winegrower whose family has steadfastly pursued the goal of crafting quality wines that highlight varietal character and terroir. Acclaimed Italian wine authority, the Gambero Rosso guide, call Michele Chiarlo “a true benchmark for Piedmont oenology.” Le Orme is a classic Barbera from choice terroir showing rich, ripe cherries and earth on the nose and an elegant palate.
Support Local Journalism
• Alta Vista Premium Malbec: Alta Vista’s French ownership adds European tradition to Argentinean passion, focusing on the production of high altitude, site-specific wines. Alta Vista’s 516 acres of estate vineyards are situated in the best terroirs of Mendoza; Lujan de Cuyo and Uco Valley at 3,200 feet above sea level. With low yields of only 1.5 bottles of wine per vine, Alta Vista Premium Malbec shows deep aromas and flavors of red fruit, blackberry, and mocha with spice notes and soft tannins balanced by lively acidity. It recently received 90 points by Vinous.
• St. Francis Old Vine Zinfandel: For more than four decades, the wines of St. Francis Winery & Vineyards have reflected the finest mountain and valley vineyards in Sonoma County. Today a new generation of winemakers continue their tradition of luscious, elegant, fruit driven wines produced from Certified Sustainable vineyards. St. Francis OV Zinfandel is from 55-100+ year-old, dry-farmed vineyards in Sonoma County. It pays tribute to its heritage with great structure, concentrated flavor and a long, luscious finish. St. Francis was named “Zinfandel Producer of the Year 2014”, and the 2012 OVZ was recently named one of the top Zinfandel values by Wine Spectator.
Mayr’s interest in wine began when she starting writing restaurant wine lists as a restaurant manager. She has been in the wine industry for 20 years, starting her career in 1995 at Republic National Distributing Company. She has spent the last 15 years working as a winery representative for Robert Mondavi, Folio Fine Wine Partners and Via Wines, a Chilean company. She is currently the Colorado district manager for Kobrand Fine Wine & Spirits. She has a passion for wine education and taught two sessions of the wine education program as part of the professional culinary arts program at Cook St. School of Culinary Arts in Denver. She is a certified specialist of wine, a member of the Society of Wine Educators and has passed the Introductory Sommelier Course through the Court of Master Sommeliers.
Charles Hays, vin48’s chef and owner, will pair the wines with appetizers on the restaurant’s patio. The event is part of vin48’s summer tasting series, which takes place every Wednesday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Vin48 serves wines from visiting winemakers, breweries, distillers, importers and industry insiders and pairs them with Hays’ cuisine. All the wines served are available for purchase at discounted prices from Beaver Liquors in Avon. The event is $25 and includes wine tasting and light appetizers. Call 970-748-9463 for reservations.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Vail, Beaver Creek and Eagle Valley make the Vail Daily’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.